Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Honest Opinions


For my final post in my videoblogging course I had to get out of my comfort zone. One of the things I was most afraid of is showing my friends. I have always been open and honest in my videoblogging and I felt like I needed to kick it up a notch. I figured that the best way to be completely open, conquer my fear, and get out of my comfort zone was to have some of my closest friends give their honest opnions of me. It's a weird self portrait that I'm technically not even in.

In creating this piece, I gave the camera to my friends that I'm closest to and see the most often. They had to sit in front of the camera and in a minute or less (nearly everyone went over in time) give their honest opinion of me, be it positive or negative. I asked them to simply say whatever they wanted about me. If it was either good or bad I would not mention what they said or be offended. So that I was unable to put any spin on this post I was not present when any of this was taped and didn't watch any footage until I started editing. Also as an added constraint I allowed myself only two hours to edit the footage, so that it would be even harder to put a spin on anything.

In editing all I did was watch each clip and take minor notes. I then just started piecing everything together. Nothing that was said is taken out of context and is in the sequential order of when it was said during the taping. I took the best lines and segments and put then together. I thinks its odd that prettyt much everyone chose to use the compliment sandwich.

I really enjoyed making this piece. It was nice to hear that my friends liked me but I got even more from this. It was a chance for my friends to tell me what I needed to hear but couldn't say to my face. After making this piece I feel a lot closer to my friends and greatly appreciate them.

thank you to all who were invovled in making this post possible.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your project, dude. The days before semester end are always tough. Hang in there.

You totally deleted a bunch of comments people left on your blog. In the blogging world, that's almost unforgivable. If you don't agree with what someone says, write a response--don't erase it. Doing that makes you look shady and untrustworthy.

Come to think of it, you deleted a couple of posts you wrote last month. Think twice before you hit 'publish.' Removing the past as if it didn't happen in order to cover your mistakes is a sure way to get ridiculed by bloggers.

Why should anyone spend any time writing comments to you, if you're just going to delete what you don't like? Guess if I wanted this comment to remain on your blog, I would have to kiss up to you and tell you what you want to hear--but then it's hardly an honest exchange of ideas is it? Maybe you should write your own comments so you get them all written perfectly.

Yeah, I know, I'm ranting. It's just that I spent awhile on a couple of comments a few weeks back and felt shunned when I checked your blog for activity a few minutes ago. You're a cool guy, I like your site, good luck with the video blog course. My only gripe is that you don't seem to celebrate your fans, but instead it looks like you're pushing your coursework off on us. Respect.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched the video (that last comment was supposed to be for your previous post--but don't delete it!), and it was a really cool montage. I didn't hear any negative comments from your friends, so I'm surprised to see you explain how you encouraged them to speak negatively if necessary. Looks like everyone loves the bejeezus out of you, Aaron. Who edited the movie, again? You did! The result looks terrific--I'd give you an A. It's hard to forget, though, how you've selectively deleted a lot of comments your fans have posted. Yeah, I'm giving you a hard time, so just delete this comment and, voila: problem fixed.

11:15 AM  
Blogger AndrewHart said...

Dude, it's not like that at all. I didn't delete comments because I didn't like them. Call me a shit bag if that is what you think I am. Btw, you should have sent me a video about what you thought, that would have been amazing!

The posts that I deleted took the comments with them, it' not like I was trying to hide anything. I'm surprised anyone comments at all. I felt the first post I deleted could have been done better after the initial criticism. The second one I delete went along with the first post and was just me talking about how I was going to be making a better post about what I felt about the Iraq War. I was going to repost all of that material with the new video. Think of it as a revision of my work after I recieved the critiques.

I didn't think it would have been a big deal to delete those post, but I guess I was wrong. I'm still in the process of making a more well thought out post, but it's slow coming. Can't see to get any of the video I'm finding online to save properly, any suggestion?

In this post I wanted a good mix of positive and negative feedback. Finding people willing to do that was incredibly hard though. I tried to even get an ex-girlfriend that I'm not cool with, a boss that fired me, and my arch enemy to do interviews but they wouldn't do it. Also I did edit it and didn't put any spin on anything that was said. If you want to and/or could re-edit my footage that would be great. I'd like to see what someone else could do with it. hint hint.

Sorry to offend. Thanks alot for watching and commenting. I've only ever deleted comments because they were attached to posts, not because I didn't like them. I really do appreciate everything said to me.

p.s. who is Aaron? you refer to an Aaron and I think that's me you're refering to. My name is Andy. Thanks :)

3:37 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

Haha, "the ultimate form of narcissism" is true, but not at all bad. I like the idea of this video because we forget so often how important it is to just tell people what you honestly think of them. It builds communication - that's amazing.

All your friends are so earnest, too! That's amazing. I can't imagine actually getting someone to take this project this seriously. That's excellent.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

the ultimate form of narcissism, haha. But isn't that the bread and butter of vlogging? I love bread and butter.

Oh man, my word verification is Zwimz. Like Swims, but with Z's instead. Crazy

2:07 AM  
Blogger zach kmiec said...

as far as editing goes, I wanted to see more of some people, while others seemed to be in there saying the same thing repeatedly. this aside though, I thought it was an awesome idea, and it did come out really well. the comment wall for this post adds to its amazingness, and i look forward to the Iraq post when you finally finish it. good stuff man.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

That was great. And I found out you know J Ko. Me and her go way back, yo. Seriously.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good response, Andy. I'm glad my comments have gotten you to reflect. Having a blog is a great learning experience. If you're serious about offering others the opportunity to edit your raw footage, why not upload it and post a link to it?

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home